Golden Grove is part of the Pembrokeshire Health Promoting School Scheme, for which we have recently achieved the gold standard for our outstanding commitment to this HPS (28th March 2017). As part of this scheme we aim:
- To promote actively the self-esteem of all members of the school community.
- To actively develop good relationships in the daily life of the school.
- To identify, develop and communicate a positive ethos and appropriate social values within the school community.
- To ensure that all pupils have the opportunity to benefit from stimulating educational challenges.
- To take every opportunity to enhance the environment of the school.
- To develop good school/home/community links and shared activities.
- To encourage all staff to fulfil their health promoting role, through staff development and training.
- To develop and implement a coherent health education curriculum.
- To establish good links with associated schools to ensure smooth transition, both socially and in relation to a developmental health education programme.
- To develop the school as a health promoting workplace with a commitment to the health and well-being of all staff.
- To develop the complementary role of all school policies to the health education curriculum, such that the curriculum reflects the contents of the policy and the policy reinforces the curriculum.
- To develop partnerships with appropriate outside agencies and individuals, including the school health service, for advice and active support for health education and health promotion in the school.
The school has been active in the Healthy Schools Scheme. Pupils’ health and wellbeing is a high priority. The School Council and Eco Committee are made up of elected representatives from each class. We have a fruit tuck shop where children can purchase fruit for a small charge. There is access to water at all times during the school day and we actively encourage children to bring a water bottle to school every day. In the Foundation Phase milk and fruit snack is made available to all children daily. We encourage children to bring a healthy school lunch box.
In the Foundation Phase all children are part of the ‘Designed to Smile’ initiative; you will be asked to complete a consent form for your child to participate if they are part of this phase. Tooth brushing takes place daily, all children are provided with a toothbrush free of charge.